AAUW State College Branch STEM Scholarships for Girls
Please check back in December 2019 for next year's application.
In partnership with Penn State University’s Science-U, the AAUW State College Branch has created a scholarship opportunity for motivated girls with a sincere and strong interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics) to attend a weeklong summer science day camp at Penn State. Selection criteria and the application process are described below.
All scholarship application materials are due by February 28, 2017. The AAUW State College Branch STEM Committee will review applications and notify applicants of their decisions by March 30, 2017.
Girls entering 6th through 12th grades in fall 2017 and who reside in or attend a school district within Centre County may apply for these scholarships. They must:
- Exhibit a sincere and strong interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and/or Mathematics (STEM)
- Demonstrate both a positive attitude and strength of character
STEM Scholarship Application Process
- With a parent/guardian, go to the Science-U website (www.sciencecamps.psu.edu) and complete the online registration form for the camp of your choice. Registration opens at 10 a.m. on January 18, 2017. Select the camp of your choice. If the camp of your choice is full, select "add to wait list." Indicate your intent to apply for a scholarship from AAUW State College Branch. Payment will not be required, but your parent/guardian will be asked to disclose basic financial information. Scholarship selection is merit based; financial information is collected for reporting and secondary consideration purposes only. (Note: Paper registration forms are available upon request from the Science-U office at 814-865-0083 or firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Write a one-page essay with your full name at the top of the page that includes the following:
* What area of science, technology, engineering, or mathematics interests you the most and why
* Which Science-U camp you chose and how you think attending this camp will benefit you
* How, if you’re selected, you will use this experience to encourage others to be interested in STEM
Submit the essay via an email attachment, by fax, or as a paper document sent through standard U. S. mail.
Email your essay to email@example.com and include your full name in the subject line.
Fax your essay to 814-865-0096.
Or mail it to Science-U Summer Camp Program, AAUW State College Branch STEM Scholarship Committee, 201 Ritenour Building, University Park, PA 16802.
- Ask a teacher from a previous or current science, mathematics, engineering or technology (STEM) class to complete the Teacher Recommendation Form and submit it before February 28, 2017. Forms are available at here.
To seek more information or ask questions, contact the Science-U office at 814-865-0083 or firstname.lastname@example.org.