ANNUAL USED BOOK SALE
DONATIONS FOR SALE
The Used Book Workshop, located at 176 Technology Dr., Boalsburg, re-opened on Saturday, June 17, 2017. From June 19 until Labor Day, workshop hours are Monday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m. and Tuesday and Friday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon. From Labor Day through Wednesday, March 7, 2018, hours are Monday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m. and Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. You are invited to bring your book donation during workshop hours, simply press the white doorbell located adjacent to the loading dock to bring them inside. To reach us by phone, please call 814-466-6041.
View location for donations
WE CANNOT ACCEPT:
- Items which are unhealthy to handle or dirty, moldy, smelly, burnt, chewed or wet.
- Textbooks that were published more than five years ago unless they are classic reference books.
- Vinyl phonograph records, Audio and Video tapes
- National Geographic magazines
- AAA Travel Guides
- Readers Digest Condensed Books
- VHS tapes
We have found through years of experience that these items do not sell well and are expensive to dispose of.
We accept donations in the following categories:
- Arts: Art, music, opera, movies, television, as well as biographies of people in these fields
- Business and Economics
- Collectors: Books published before 1960 (These are on tables on the floor of the Ag Arena)
- Communication: Books about newspapers or magazines, collections of essays, English grammar books, Style books (Strunk & White, AP Stylebook, etc.), “How-to” writing guides; books on journalists, muckrakers and TV news commentators.
- Cook Books
- DVDs, CDs as well as Books on Tape
- Fiction: Historical fiction, hardback romance, contemporary fiction
- Foreign Language: Books in languages other than English
- Health and Self-Help: Diet, exercise, child-raising, self-fulfillment, relationships
- Humor and Pop Culture: Includes joke books, books about space aliens, the occult, astrology, comic books, graphic novels, books on astrology, the paranormal. We had a large donation of books on psychic phenomena and paranormal topics. Check religion and philosophy tables too.
- Life Science: Books on anatomy, biology, botany; field guides to birds, mammals, etc.; “All Creatures Great and Small” series; agriculture yearbooks; forestry; veterinary books
- Literature: Classics, poetry, plays, myths, Cliff Notes, summaries of great works, books on theory of criticism/criticism.
- Mystery (hard cover)
- Paperbacks, fiction. Nonfiction paperbacks are on tables in appropriate category.l
- Political Science: – Law books, political parties, elections, communist theory, war
- Religion: Includes,Children's religious books, Bible stories, hymnals as well as novels published by Christian publishing companies
- (Physical) Science and Engineering: Books about astronomy, geology, computers, chemistry, physics, hydrology, electronics, physical geography, texts on cartography
- Science Fiction: speculative fiction, alternative history, some horror, paranormal romance, vampires
- Sheet Music: Also hardback books of music
- Social Science: Includes anthropology, psychology, archaeology, sociology, feminism, true crime, sexual orientation
- Special Collectors Room: Books priced $20 or more are in room behind the Information Table in the lobby.
- Sports: Books on hunting, fishing, guns, extreme sports; equestrian books; Joe Paterno
What to Do with Books We Cannot Accept
Centre County Recycling (http://centrecountyrecycles.org/) states the following regarding books that AAUW cannot accept: "Soft cover books go as they are but must be bundled for curbside pickup just like magazines. Hard back books can be recycled after the front and back covers are removed. Then they are handled just like soft cover and/or magazines. If you do not have curbside service, the books may be placed in one of our drop-off bins labeled 'mixed paper'."
For more information, contact Suzanne Kerlin or Sherry Crassweller or call 814-466-6041 during workshop hours.