ANNUAL USED BOOK SALE
DONATIONS FOR SALE
Have books to contribute to the 2020 sale? Our Summer Book Donation Kick-off will be held Saturday, June 15 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the Used Book Donation Center, 176 Technology Drive in Boalsburg. From June 17 - August 28, the workshop is open for donations on Monday evenings from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 9 a.m. to noon.
During workshop hours, please bring your book donations directly into the building. Ring the bell at the door immediately to the left of the loading dock when you have a donation to bring in. For additional information, call 814-466-6041.
View location for donations
WE CANNOT ACCEPT:
- Items which are unhealthy to handle or dirty, moldy, smelly, burnt, chewed or wet.
- Textbooks that were published more than five years ago unless they are classic reference books.
- Vinyl phonograph records, Audio and Video tapes
- National Geographic magazines
- AAA Travel Guides
- Readers Digest Condensed Books
- VHS tapes
We have found through years of experience that these items do not sell well and are expensive to dispose of.
We accept donations in the following categories:
- Arts: Art, music, opera, movies, television, as well as biographies of people in these fields
- Business and Economics
- Collectors: Books published before 1960 (These are on tables on the floor of the Ag Arena)
- Communication: Books about newspapers or magazines, collections of essays, English grammar books, Style books (Strunk & White, AP Stylebook, etc.), “How-to” writing guides; books on journalists, muckrakers and TV news commentators.
- Cook Books
- DVDs, CDs as well as Books on Tape
- Fiction: Historical fiction, hardback romance, contemporary fiction
- Foreign Language: Books in languages other than English
- Health and Self-Help: Diet, exercise, child-raising, self-fulfillment, relationships
- Humor and Pop Culture: Includes joke books, books about space aliens, the occult, astrology, comic books, graphic novels, books on astrology, the paranormal. We had a large donation of books on psychic phenomena and paranormal topics. Check religion and philosophy tables too.
- Life Science: Books on anatomy, biology, botany; field guides to birds, mammals, etc.; “All Creatures Great and Small” series; agriculture yearbooks; forestry; veterinary books
- Literature: Classics, poetry, plays, myths, Cliff Notes, summaries of great works, books on theory of criticism/criticism.
- Mystery (hard cover)
- Paperbacks, fiction. Nonfiction paperbacks are on tables in appropriate category.l
- Political Science: – Law books, political parties, elections, communist theory, war
- Religion: Includes,Children's religious books, Bible stories, hymnals as well as novels published by Christian publishing companies
- (Physical) Science and Engineering: Books about astronomy, geology, computers, chemistry, physics, hydrology, electronics, physical geography, texts on cartography
- Puzzles and Games
- Science Fiction: speculative fiction, alternative history, some horror, paranormal romance, vampires
- Sheet Music: Also hardback books of music
- Social Science: Includes anthropology, psychology, archaeology, sociology, feminism, true crime, sexual orientation
- Special Collectors Room: Books priced $20 or more are in room behind the Information Table in the lobby.
- Sports: Books on hunting, fishing, guns, extreme sports; equestrian books; Joe Paterno
What to Do with Books We Cannot Accept
Centre County Recycling (http://centrecountyrecycles.org/) states the following regarding books that AAUW cannot accept: "Soft cover books go as they are but must be bundled for curbside pickup just like magazines. Hard back books can be recycled after the front and back covers are removed. Then they are handled just like soft cover and/or magazines. If you do not have curbside service, the books may be placed in one of our drop-off bins labeled 'mixed paper'."
For more information, contact Suzanne Kerlin or Sherry Crassweller or call 814-466-6041 during workshop hours.