In 1927 a committee was appointed to investigate possibilities for a County Library and/or a Community Library. Mrs. Arthur W. Cowell, first president of AAUW 1916-1917, was tireless in her efforts with the County Commissioners and other county and community leaders to establish one. Finally, the Centre County Library was located in Bellefonte in 1939, and in 1942 Mrs. Cowell reported that the Bookmobile for the County Library was "on the road."
Many branch members have devoted interest, effort and financial support to the establishment and maintenance of the Bella Schlow Memorial Library, opening in 1956 in downtown State College. The Branch was one of the sponsoring groups to form an executive board for the Friends of the Library; worked to gain tax support in a "Save the Library" campaign (1960); began the custom of presenting books annually to the Past Presidents Shelf (1963); and was among the many groups which requested that the vacated post office building be used to relocate the Schlow Library facilities until a new building could be constructed. Display cases for the children’s' room were presented to the library to honor the 50th anniversary of the State College Branch of AAUW in 1966. Numerous meetings of AAUW were held in the Fireside Room and the Board of Directors often met in the upstairs Assembly Room.
The State College Branch contributed $25,000 toward construction of the new Schlow Centre Region Library. This Library has been an ongoing priority of the Branch to receive allocations from proceeds of the annual Used Book Sale, a community event since 1962. In recent years AAUW has also financially contributed as a friend to other libraries as well: the Centre Hall Library, the Holt Library in Philipsburg, the Aaronsburg Area Public Library and the Centre County Library.